About the "drop user root'@'%';" command

Hi,

I Executed the “drop user root’@’%’;” command.
After that, I can’t access the root.
Also, some sdb-admin commands fail.

Please what should I do?

I think anyone can make the same mistake.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

You can set the start up only system variable insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users (use tools to set it). Once that is set you can log in as the distributed user and CREATE USER or GRANT to create a root user again. Remember to remove the insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users system variable when your done.

-Adam

Hi, adam
I want to know how to set ‘security_accept_any_password_for_all_users’ variable.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply!!

I have tried testing, but haven’t solved it yet.

I added the below setting to memsqlctl.hcl, toolbox.hcl, toolbox-cache.hcl toolbox-state.hcl, memsql.cnf files and restarted MA.

`insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users = "ON"`

Please let me know in more detail.

Thanks again in advance.

The best way to set a config. variable is via:

Once you set insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users and restart the master aggregator you can login as the distributed user and that user will let you recreate root. For example:

mysql -u distributed -h <master agg host here> --port <master agg port here>

MySQL [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON *.* TO ROOT@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Hi,

I tried the way you told me, but it doesn’t work.
The following error has occurred in the settings.

[memsql@localhost tracelogs]$ sdb-admin update-config --key insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users --value on --set-global -y -a
Toolbox is about to run 'memsqlctl update-config --key insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users --value on --set-global' on the following nodes:
    - On host 127.0.0.1:
      + 9A339CEC4F5C3216BFAF34F16FACC691037DAB51
      + 2483E458DF3D752683AE1A87BD24EA2FB0252B80

Would you like to continue? [Y/n]:
Automatically selected yes, non-interactive mode enabled

✘ Failed to update configuration on 127.0.0.1
error running memsqlctl: error running command: `/usr/bin/memsqlctl --json --yes update-config --memsql-id 9A339CEC4F5C3216BFAF34F16FACC691037DAB51,2483E458DF3D752683AE1A87BD24EA2FB0252B80 --key insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users --value on --set-global`: exit status 1:
stdout: (empty)
**stderr: Error 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)**

After restarting the MA and executing the mysql command, the same error “…Access denied…” occurs.

If there is no way,
I think there is a need for improvement so that it can be restored in the way you said.

Thank you.

Looks like without a root user you can’t set a system variable via sdb-admin. You’ll have to do it manually. That means editing the memsql.cnf file on each node you want to fix the root user on. Add one line to the file:

insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users = true

Restart the node and then follow the rest of the instructions (restart the node, log in as distributed and GRANT ALL to root).

Thanks for your reply.

But it still hasn’t been resolved.
This is being tested, so don’t worry.

This problem can be reproduced simply. (Deploy cluster_in_a_box -> drop user root -> recovery …)
I think this is a bug and I hope you inform the tech department.

Thank you.

sdb-admin start-node --yes --all
Toolbox is about to perform the following actions:
  · Start all nodes in the cluster

Would you like to continue? [Y/n]:
Automatically selected yes, non-interactive mode enabled

✓ Successfully connected to host 127.0.0.1
✘ Failed to start Leaf node on 127.0.0.1 (1/1)
error running memsqlctl: error running command: `/usr/bin/memsqlctl --json --yes start-node --memsql-id 2483E458DF3D752683AE1A87BD24EA2FB0252B80`: exit status 1:
stdout: (empty)
stderr: MemSQL config values failed to validate: 2021-04-11 21:28:32.562   INFO: ./memsqld: initializing
2021-04-11 21:28:32.601   INFO: ./memsqld: initializing
2021-04-11 21:28:32.626   INFO: Skipping setuid because we are already user '1000' (uid 1000, gid 1000)
**ERROR: "insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users" cannot be defined in the memsql.cnf. It can only be used as a command line parameter.**
2021-04-11 21:28:32.626  ERROR: Could not load config file.
2021-04-11 21:28:32.626  ERROR: ./memsqld: exiting
: error running command: `/opt/memsql-server-7.3.7-5f852cbfcf/memsqld --defaults-file /var/lib/memsql/474a343a-b895-4cf0-a6af-7e8e16095ed6/memsql.cnf --user 1000 --help`: exit status 1

Sorry about that. I didn’t know insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users wasn’t allowed to be set in memsql.cnf. Its only allowed as a startup parameter to memsqld. We need a better documented way of doing this.

I’m trying to find out if there is a way of setting a startup parameter this via sdb-admin. The only way I know is to start memsqld directly and memsqld --insecure_accept_any_password_for_all_users --defaults-file <path to memsql.cnf file>

1 Like