Add hostname to `sdb-report send-alert` emails

Describe the problem you’re experiencing?

Emails generated by sdb-report send-alert do not contain hostname.

This is messy with multiple SingleStore hosts/clusters.

What is your ideal solution? What are you looking for?

Add hostname to email.

What version(s) of MemSQL or related tools is this affecting?

root@ss-msh01:~# sdb-report version
Version: 1.17.8
Commit: 75e493abb458ca7875b9f2d93950a50790386f7c

Hi wedwards, thanks for your question but we do not support the requested functionality in the current tool. Maybe in the future.

Where should I create a feature request?

Put feature requests in the “feedback” section on the forums.

It already is. So I don’t really understand your comment “thanks for your question but we do not support the requested functionality”. It’s not a question, but a feature request.

Sorry, didn’t see it posted under feedback. My bad.

@wedwards I opened an internal feature request for this. Can you describe it in detail, regarding what hostname(s) you want included where? I can assume, but I want to make sure I understand what you want. What about for reports run on multi-node clusters?

The system’s hostname.

For example, when the swapUsage check fails, there is currently no way to know which machine generated the report (or one would have to look at mail headers).

This problem is worsened when running multiple SingleStore clusters.

I tested with Subject: “Splunk Alert: $name$ $results.count$” which returns the proper count. Auto included in the body of the email has the below columns and under the index column it does list the correct hostname
Thank you!

Hi @mybalancenow,

Could you provide some more context? Where are you defining those variables? And where do they come from? I’m also not sure how ‘count’ is relevant to this discussion.

Just FYI, this is the command I use:

/usr/bin/sdb-report send-alert --config-file /etc/singlestore-monitoring.yml --fail-only

… and this is /etc/singlestore-monitoring.yml:

receivers:
      - engineering@cyberfusion.nl
    sender: engineering@cyberfusion.nl
    server:
      host: smtp.prorelay.nl
      port: 587
      username:
      password:
thresholds:
  diskUsage:
    warn: 85
    fail: 95

I am new here, and having a doubt. can I ask a question?