Cloudformation Template - MemSQL cluster on AWS in Existing Customer VPC is not working

Hi all,

I’ll try to setup a cluster with Cloudformation template MemSQL cluster on AWS in Existing Customer VPC throught the AWS Marketplace ( AWS Marketplace: memSQL Hourly).

When i run the template i could not select my VPC and the template create a new VPC. It look’s like the cloudformation template is the same then MemSQL cluster on AWS in a New VPC.

Any suggestion ?
Best Regards.

Stéphane

Hello Stephane,
Thank you bringing this issue to our attention. I verified the AWS Paid listing and found that the same CloudFormation Template has been listed for both the options (New VPC and Customer VPC) which is definitely in error.
I have reached out to AWS to correct the same. I will post in this forum as soon as it is fixed.

Thank you for your patience and also for trying out MemSQL on AWS.

Ramesh Narayanan
Senior Partner Engineer

Hi Ramesh.
when are you thinking it will be fix?

Hi Michael,

A support case has been raised with AWS to fix it. In the meantime, if you want we can provide you the correct template which can be uploaded during the AWS Paid offer workflow and it will let you create in an existing VPC.

Ramesh

Hi Ramesh…
thanks for your replay…
can you , please send me the correct template?

Hi Michael

I have emailed you a CFT which should work for your current VPC. Do let me know how it went.

Thanks,
Ramesh

Hi Michael

As per your email, have sent the template again as a .txt file. Let me know if it works now.

Thanks,
Ramesh

thanks a lot…
i work now…
but I got
License Usage
12 units allocated of 10 available
how I can fix it?

Hi Michael,

Our CloudFormation Template has been fixed in the AWS Marketplace. Sorry it took some time for this.
But now, you should be able to select the option of installing MemSQL in an existing VPC and it will ask you for details like VPC-id etc.

As for the message about units exceeded, could you please send the cluster report so that our engineers can take a look?

Instructions:

1. SSH into the C&C host (in CFT clusters, that’s the host with the MA - master aggregator)

2. Run memsql-report collect

3. Send us the file it creates

Hi Ramesh

Would it be possible to share the latest version of the cloudformation templates? the version I see on github is a bit old and I’m hesitant to setup an older version to begin with.

The link for the templates I have is this one:

It would be wonderful if you can also share the AMI building scripts (either packer or something else) which creates the AMI on AWS Community AMIs (memsql-cloudformation_7.1.8-43a12901be_2.0.0_1.7.1 20200921-191950 - ami-01084e3844e6d872a). The reason I’m asking for this is I need to harden the images before I set the 4-node cluster up. It’s mandatory for my client.

Thanks in advance.

Luke,
Thanks for reaching out. I also see you had a question 6 days ago regarding us upgrading our CF templates to use Amazon Linux 2 images. It looks like the latest version of our CF templates already are using that base image so you might be good to go.

You can get the latest templates at these URL’s:

Note that these templates don’t use ASG’s - the cluster is fixed size at creation.

Regarding access to source code - I will reach out to you via PM for more details.