Creating memSQL cluster-in-a-box need to limit RAM and set up virtual leafs... help with config

I am trying to create a setup configuration file so that I can create a cluster-in-a-box.

Unfortunately, I’m running into what I assume is a common error since the box has 256GB, it attempts to assign too much RAM and then says upgrade. Is there a way to set it so that the install has 4 leaves, each with 25GB RAM and the rest goes to the Master or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

license: #####
memsql_server_version: 6.8.1
package_type: deb
hosts:

• hostname: 127.0.0.1
    localhost: true
    nodes:
    • register: false
      role: Master
      config:
      password: ####
      port: 3306
      role: Leaf
      config:
      port: 3307
      config:
      config:
      config:

Hi rjonesx

Can you share the MemSQL Tools command that is being used to install cluster-in-a-box? Because cluster-in-a-box does a simple installation with 1 master and 1 leaf.

Also the cluster-in-a-box option should be used only for testing and not in production.

Here are some options to set some advanced options for installation. Take a look at the following commands.

memsqlctl optimize --help

look at the following option
–memory-percentage INT percentage of memory on each machine to use for MemSQL

memsqlctl --update-config --help
This can be used to update the configuration file with settings.

Another option is to use the Docker installation instructions as shown here SingleStoreDB Cloud · SingleStore Documentation

Here is a video blog of Docker Installation Spin Up a SingleStore Cluster on Docker Desktop in 10 Minutes - YouTube

Hope this helps,

Let us know how your installation process goes.

I am using the following:
memsql-deploy setup-cluster --cluster-file memsqlclusterfile.cnf

I was under the impression that the cluster-in-a-box could have multiple leaves. Is that not possible?

Also, this is just for research. I will only spin it up for about 3 days.

If you are using the command that you have mentioned, then you should be able to set the cluster options using the optimize parameter as I had mentioned earlier.

The cluster-in-a-box sets up only 1 master and 1 leaf.

Let us know how it goes.

Clarifying one point of potential confusion: we have a Docker container called “cluster-in-a-box” at Docker that is pre-setup for a single master node and a single leaf node. This is a great way to spin up a free cluster to kick the tires. The cluster you’re building isn’t using this container, but you’ve found a similar way to describe it.

How am i getting this error on a machine with only 128 GB of memory

stderr: Error 2353: Leaf or aggregator node could not be added because you are using the MemSQL free license which has a total memory limit of 128.00 GB and after adding the node your total MemSQL memory capacity (used_cluster_capacity) would be 228.95 GB. To purchase more capacity, contact team@memsql.com. See Memory Errors · SingleStore Documentation for instructions on how to set node memory limits to create a cluster with up to 128.00 GB of memory capacity.

Is it a virtual machine or a container? MemSQL looks at the host memory when it does the calculations.