So this question is a bit complicated since I was told that the free license is going to be changed from a 128 GB limit in the near future to more of a node-based limit so I don’t know if an answer can be provided for that upcoming change as well, but yesterday I was trying to spin up a new cluster and didn’t really know how to size things to maximize the amount of memory store capacity I could have available.
I may be incorrect, but I seem to remember that when I first experimented with MemSQL about two years ago and setup a cluster, that the aggregators didn’t really count towards the available memory store capacity and that only the leafs contributed to that. However you have to have a master aggregator at a minimum along and the child aggregator is also recommended. If each of those has 4 vCPUs and 32 GB RAM then you’re using up 64 GB for the license (I’m assuming) leaving only 64 GB RAM for the leaf nodes (I ended up with 2 leaf nodes).
However, I am still not sure how much Memory Store capacity I have total (or how much I have remaining after inserting a good 40 GB of data yesterday) since the MemSQL Studio interface doesn’t spell that out at all (I seem to recall that the older web interface did provide some indication about this to the user but I’m not seeing anything like that anymore).
I was hoping to make the following suggestions:
- Add some indicators into MemSQL Studio to provide the available memory store total / remaining capacity figures (I guess it wouldn’t hurt to share the amount of disk capacity either for the column store option)
- If you are going to switch from a memory-based free license to a node-based free license in the near future, it would be great to have that limit set to 6 nodes to allow for a Master Aggregator, Child Aggregator, and 4 Leaf Nodes since I think a limit of 4 nodes would potentially be too limiting.
Looking forward to playing with the new cluster I setup some more in the coming days/weeks! (I did have some issues completing the install using the detailed instructions once I got to the add-leaf steps…I’m not sure why those occurred though…the next day I discovered the
memsql-deploy setup-cluster command though and that one seemed to work a lot better and actually gave me error output about the configuration I was initially trying, with 6 nodes, exceeding the memory limits of the free license, which was helpful).