Upgrade Errors => Provide some meaningful documentation when releasing new versions

Hey,

To install a version in all nodes, just do
memsql-deploy install --version <version> --all (memsql-deploy won’t continue if you have multiple hosts and don’t set --all or choose a host)
You shouldn’t need to do this though, this was just an issue with the migration from Ops to Tools.
We can also help you understand what went wrong there.

Both Tools and Ops upgrade the entire cluster. memsql-server packages are used by Tools, memsqlbin packages are used by Ops.

Our upgrade docs are detailed already, but the migration from Ops to Tools is a completely separate operation (SingleStoreDB Cloud · SingleStore Documentation).

1 Like

I have gone through the document you have provided already

1 Like

Hi Mduarte,

If you see my first post none of the commands which were there in the upgrade guide are working,

Adam told its a document bug, i am asking them to correct

When using tools to upgrade u need to mention in the ugprade guide specifically that one should migrate from ops to tools to upgrade to V7 but that is not at all there

If we follow the commands as it is in the upgrade guide none of them worked and this issue will be faced by all the customers who plan their upgrade

So i request you to update the upgrade guide properly
Please clarify me the following assuming that i have MEMSQL V6.7.14 there in my machine both ops and memsql

1. Upgrade OPS to V7
  2. Migrate from OPS to Tools
  3. Then install old version again because the memsql-admin commands shows the nodes as 6.7.14 but they are not exactly so
  4. Install again 6.7.14
  5. Un install new version v7.0.16
  6. Again install 7.0.16

Doesn’t this look cumbersome when we try to do the same on PROD environment when we have multiple or many number of nodes

1 Like

Hi,

Yeah, there’s a bug in the ops upgrade command, which we will fix, but the others are fine if you are using Tools in your cluster. And we specifically tell users to use Ops for upgrade if they are using Ops in their cluster:

You can use either MemSQL tools or MemSQL Ops to upgrade from MemSQL 6.8 to MemSQL 7.0. If you are upgrading from MemSQL 6.5 or earlier, or have an existing cluster managed by MemSQL Ops, please see the instructions for using MemSQL Ops to perform the upgrade process.

Migrating to Tools is a completely separate process, as you have to understand how the Tools work before deciding to commit to that change.

Steps 1 and 2 should be enough. We can investigate that further. Do you still have the migration_config.yml file that was outputted by ops, as part of the migration process?

1 Like

Yes i have the yaml file

Using MEMSQL ops to upgrade we have the following commands in the upgrade document

memsql-ops agent-upgrade --version 7.0.0

But this won’t work as per adam
either we need to give
memsql-ops agent-upgrade or memsql-ops agent-upgrade --version 7.0.16

1 Like

Can you paste the yaml file here?

1 Like

hi mduarte,

Seems the directory and the file are removed after i uninstall memsql-ops

Do you want me to regenerate and give it

1 Like

Yes, but it needs to be the yaml before you uninstalled ops and installed tools. Can you still get one of those clusters?
Thank you.