Upgrade Errors => Provide some meaningful documentation when releasing new versions

Trying to upgrade memsql using the below link

Memsql upgrade to V7 is failing in all methods

Getting the following errors when used both OPS and TOOLS type in V7

memsql-ops memsql-upgrade --version 7.0

Its error is as follows

Could not get the latest binary of MemSQL with version 7.0: There are no MEMSQL files available.

memsql-ops memsql-upgrade --file-path /root/memsql-server-7.0.16-5aa7127018.x86_64.tar.gz

Adding a MemSQL file
Unpacking archive to determine its version
Extracting utils/build_metadata.json
Fall back to utils/build_receipt.json
Error while extracting version information
Please check that the file at path /root/memsql-server-7.0.16-5aa7127018.x86_64.tar.gz is a MemSQL file

===================================================

USING MEMSQL TOOLS:-

memsql-deploy upgrade --version 7.0
refusing to upgrade a cluster with no master aggregator, make sure that a master aggregator exists in this cluster and it shows up in ‘memsql-admin list-nodes’ before continuing

memsql-deploy upgrade --file-path /root/memsql-server.rpm
refusing to upgrade a cluster with no master aggregator, make sure that a master aggregator exists in this cluster and it shows up in ‘memsql-admin list-nodes’ before continuing

1 Like

Thanks for sharing info on the error you are getting. For this cluster, was it deployed using Ops or Tools?

The tools error message is saying there is not a master aggregator present, which could be that your nodes are not registered with tools if they were originally deployed by Ops.

We do support offline upgrade from 6.x to 7.0 with Ops, so if the cluster was originally deployed with Ops we can proceed with troubleshooting that path, just let me know how you originally deployed the cluster.

1 Like

If you want to proceed with an Ops based upgrade we have official documentation here: SingleStoreDB Cloud · SingleStore Documentation

Let me know if you have already followed this guide and have still run into problems.

1 Like

Hi,
I deployed the cluster with install.sh after downloading the OPS and SERVER Tar ball directories.

Yes i have gone through the document you have provided already

The issue here is i tried both the methods and both are throwing different errors

1 Like

Understood. You won’t be able to upgrade with tools if the cluster was deployed with Ops without migrating the cluster to tools.

To upgrade with Ops you will need to be on at least version 7 of Ops. Which version are you currently using?

1 Like

i upgraded the ops to 7 already and then tried upgrading the cluster

1 Like

Please send me the steps in detail ,so that i can try and implement them and get back to you in case of any concerns, but not even a single step is working as per document , i tried them the all possible ways

1 Like

Forgot to tell you one more issue, when trying to do the same with ops even from 6.7 to 6.8 as the ops is upgraded to 7 its throwing error like can’t upgrade to 6.8 as the ops is in version 7.0.16

1 Like

Hi Phani,

Can your clusters access the internet?

If so you don’t need to use a tar based install. Now that your running 7.0 ops, You can do:

memsql-ops memsql-upgrade

And it will fetch + upgrade to the latest memsql engine version (the docs for upgrading to 7.0 with ops are here: SingleStoreDB Cloud · SingleStore Documentation).

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Yes my clusters can access internet and the first error i pasted is because of the same command

memsql-ops memsql-upgrade --version 7.0

It throwed me the following error
Could not get the latest binary of MemSQL with version 7.0: There are no MEMSQL files available.

1 Like

Hi Phani,

I apologize for the confusion. We have docs bug there.

The error your getting is because of the “–version 7.0”. You’ll need to specify the exact version you want if you use --version. If you skip --version, ops will download the latest version. So the command you want is:

memsql-ops memsql-upgrade
or
memsql-ops memsql-upgrade --version 7.0.16

(7.0.16 is the latest version of 7.0).

-Adam

1 Like

Ok Adam,

Thanks for the info, let me try and get back to you

1 Like

Can you also help me for the second error, using --file-path

1 Like

Yes, the --file-path error is because your using the .tar file associated with tools instead of ops. You need to use this tar file “https://download.memsql.com/releases/version/7.0.16/memsqlbin_amd64.tar.gz” with ops.

1 Like

hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the info, yes it worked, but when we are trying to install memsql 6.7 version using install.sh what its doing is its installing the latest version of MEMSQL V7

Only if we do manual process of using add file -t 6.7.14.tar.gz its installing 6.7 version where in we need to add the master and the leaf separately in those steps

Can you ask the concern team to update the UPGRADE doc

1 Like

Hi Adam,
When i am trying to upgrade MEMSQL from 6.7.14 to V7 using Tools its not allowing me do
Its throwing the following error

./memsql-deploy upgrade

After this i tried migrating ops to tools and try upgrade then its throwing me the following error

memsql-deploy upgrade --version 7.0.16
The selected version is already installed on all hosts
-bash-4.2$ memsql-admin list-nodes ±-----------±-------±------------±-----±--------------±-------------±--------±---------------±-------------------±-------------+
| MemSQL ID | Role | Host | Port | Process State | Connectable? | Version | Recovery State | Availability Group | Bind Address |
±-----------±-------±------------±-----±--------------±-------------±--------±---------------±-------------------±-------------+
| 3D65234619 | Master | 10.128.0.34 | 3306 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | | 0.0.0.0 |
| 5018587A0C | Leaf | 10.128.0.34 | 3307 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | 1 | 0.0.0.0 |
| 6654639DB1 | Leaf | 10.128.0.34 | 3308 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | 1 | 0.0.0.0 |
±-----------±-------±------------±-----±--------------±-------------±--------±---------------±-------------------±-------------+

1 Like

Hi,

Can you run:
memsql-deploy list-versions --all

If you see 7.0.16 there, just uninstall it:
memsql-deploy uninstall --version 7.0.16 --all

and upgrade as before:
memsql-deploy upgrade --version 7.0.16

1 Like

Hi mduarte,

Thanks for the update, please find the following when i tried to run the commands you mentioned

[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ ./memsql-admin list-nodes ±-----------±-------±------------±-----±--------------±-------------±--------±---------------±-------------------±-------------+
| MemSQL ID | Role | Host | Port | Process State | Connectable? | Version | Recovery State | Availability Group | Bind Address |
| 7BFB5A78C2 | Master | 10.128.0.38 | 3306 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | | 0.0.0.0 |
| EF1EF31785 | Leaf | 10.128.0.38 | 3307 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | 1 | 0.0.0.0 |
| 867902BFC8 | Leaf | 10.128.0.38 | 3308 | Running | True | 6.7.14 | Online | 1 | 0.0.0.0 |
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ memsql-deploy list-versions
-bash: memsql-deploy: command not found
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ ./memsql-deploy list-versions
±------------±----------------------------------------------------±--------±-------+
| Host | Package | Version | Active |
±------------±----------------------------------------------------±--------±-------+
| 10.128.0.38 | /home/memsql/memsql/memsql-server-7.0.16-5aa7127018 | 7.0.16 | Yes |
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ memsql-deploy uninstall --version 7.0.16
-bash: memsql-deploy: command not found
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ ./memsql-deploy uninstall --version 7.0.16
cannot uninstall memsql-server version 7.0.16 on host 10.128.0.38 because it is the last version installed and nodes still exist
To delete the nodes before uninstalling, use the memsql-admin delete-node command
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$ ./memsql-deploy upgrade --version 7.0.16
The selected version is already installed on all hosts
[memsql@memsql-upgrade-using-tools memsql-toolbox]$

1 Like

Hmm, I would say something went wrong in the migration from Ops to Tools, the nodes are running on a version that is not listed.

Try installing 6.7.14:
memsql-deploy install --version 6.7.14

Then uninstall 7.0.16 and do the upgrade.

1 Like

Hi mduarte,

Thanks for the work around , it worked but as i am doing it in test environment with only one node however do we need to perform the same in PROD Cluster as well with more nodes in place ?

Do we need to perform the un install and install on all nodes locally ?

Can you also suggest me the --file-path command as well

Which Tar do we need to use of the below tars

memsql-server-7.0.16-5aa7127018.x86_64.tar.gz ?
or
https://download.memsql.com/releases/version/7.0.16/memsqlbin_amd64.tar.gz

Do we have any chance of getting the detailed steps of doing upgrade on a multi node cluster
or
Can we expect an inclusion of detailed steps in the upgrade guide documentation ?

1 Like