Getting a MySQL error 2002? We break down what this error means, and steps you can take it resolve it.
MySQL Error 2002 (hy000) — What Is It?
MySQL error 2002 refers to connection problems that arise either at the time of connection, or when a query is being executed. MySQL allows a dedicated server connection by using a socket. The official error reference is:
MySQL Error 2002 (CR_CONNECTION_ERROR) Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '%s' (%d)
MySQL Error 2002 (hy000) — What Are the Causes?
The issue can be thrown due to various reasons, including:
- MySQL server crash. If the MySQL server crashes for any reason, the socket connection established in the handler will be broken, resulting in error 2002.
- Access issues. If authenticated user credentials are revoked post connection, the socket connection will be aborted.
- Version conflicts. Conflicts in configurations, versions and query formats could also lead to error 2002.
MySQL Error 2002 (hy000) — Solutions
The following are possible solutions for error 2002 (based on the situation):
- Validate the MySQL server status. Check if the MySQL server is functional — if not, be sure to start the server. On occasion, restarting the server also fixes the problem. If the issue persists, check the access and error log to uncover specific problems and take appropriate action.
- Fix any configuration conflicts. If the MySQL is working properly, check configuration for access control, MySQL may be blocking your database handlers access. Once configuration is fixed remember to restart MySQL server for changes to take effect.
Connection errors, like MySQL error 2002 can break the flow of the entire service. However, by adhering to best practices and stability precautions, you can work to avoid the error.
SingleStoreDB is a real-time, distributed SQL database that unifies transactions and analytics in a single engine to drive low-latency access to large datasets, simplifying the development of fast, modern enterprise applications. SingleStoreDB provides support for large scale databases with analytics and takes care of most configuration, and also supports various distributions for deployment.
SingleStore is MySQL wire compatible and offers the familiar syntax of SQL, but is based on modern underlying technology that allows infinitely higher speed and scale versus MySQL. This is one of the many reasons SingleStore is the #1, top-rated relational database on TrustRadius.